Alaska Bound

A peek under the covers into the journey of a lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

The ulcer is gone. I think I got used to the water. Now I just have to get used to the prices....

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Fun with Wildlife

Today we stayed in beautiful Marion, IL another day. We needed to get the oil changed in the car and I really was not in the mood to drive today. We went on a wild journey through the back woods of Marion County. Actually it is turkey season here, so in fact I guess you could say we were hunting turkeys. We did see a wild turkey in its natural habitat (the woods…). We chased it in the car and caused it to get scared and run off. Unfortunely we were not able to capture it and sell it at the local flea market or stuff it for dinner. We were both very excited to have scared away our first glimpses of true wildlife. Later that day we visited a Christmas tree farm. Yes, there are farms for Christmas trees. It was actually quite disappointing. The farm was closed until November. The Christmas trees looked rather small, and needed to be trimmed. I never realized until today that you needed to groom a Christmas tree before you sold it. While heading back to the main road we spotted a group of turkeys (so many jokes there…). They were wild (meaning they were not penned up) and looked like they were really enjoying life. The only problem was that they were in somebodys garden. I am not sure if they belonged there, or if they had just decided to take up home for lunch. At least I think they are turkeys. If anyone knows what they are, please let me know. They looked tasty, but I did not want to steal another mans turkeys or pets as the case might be.

Wild animal count so far:
Opossum – 1 dead
Deer – 6 dead
Coyote – 1 dead
Turkey – 5 all alive!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home