Alaska Bound

A peek under the covers into the journey of a lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

The ulcer is gone. I think I got used to the water. Now I just have to get used to the prices....

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Ebola

This is the Ebola virus. I took this picture with a scanning electron microscope that I keep in the bathroom. Don’t ask where I keep the Ebola….


I was woken the other day out of a blissful sleep to the words that a man fears the most. Dianne woke me and said, “I think the dog has Ebola”. My response was, “Ok, ok honey, and my overies are killing me. Can we go back to bed now?” No, really she said. I think he is going to kill us with some strange disease that he picked up from a moose, or worse yet, a bear. I really just wanted to go back to bed, but I was curious as to what it was that was going to kill me and cause a plague on the nation of Alaska. So I rolled over and looked at the dog. He was staring at me like I could rescue him from the arms of his mother (Dianne). She had a grip on him that was slightly less than that of a strangle hold. I looked at his face and quickly recoiled. It was Ebola, or at least some sort of flesh eating disease that was not there 24 hours ago. It was an open wound just below his left ear that was about the size of a golf ball. After getting over the initial shock, I quickly told Dianne to throw him off the bed. She angrily asked why. I said, “He is diseased and going to kill us, now throw the plague ridden dog down. She slowly released him and he quickly ran under the couch (The couch is still a plastic lawn chair from Home Depot). After much discussion we decided that we would take him to the vet to be diagnosed. I was in favor of cooking the non-Ebola parts, but I was over ruled by the wife, and the dog. So we made an appointment for the next day.

Much to my surprise, the Doctor really liked dogs, and Nick(the dog) seemed to really like her. I could just hear the dog telling her about my cooking comments… She quickly diagnosed the problem as something I thought was just another name for Ebola, but as it turned out, it was just a hot spot. A hot spot you ask? Yes. I asked the same question. What is a hot spot? I had not attempted to cook him yet, so whatever it was, I knew it was not my fault. The doctor went on to explain that hot spots are things that dogs get, and are not related to Ebola, or any flesh eating disease that we could catch. I was very relieved. We could keep the dog, and I would not have to worry about loosing my boyish good looks. The doctor took him away and when she came back, she handed me the dog, and a bill that was almost as heavy. I told Dianne to pay the bill, that me and the dog were going to pass out in the car.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kakoii said...

I've been reading your blog with great interest as my family is making the great move this summer. I have really enjoyed your stories! I was wondering if you might be willing to share the route that you took in your great driving adventure as we, too, are planning on travelling by car. Also, do you have any advice? We will also travel with our furry, four-footed friend(s).

2:56 PM  
Blogger Glenn & Dianne said...

Congratulations! It will be the trip of a lifetime. Our route was to head north from Florida and enter Canada at the North Dakota Border. After that we made a left and headed to Dawson Creek. We then just followed the ALCAN to Alaska. If we had to do it over again, I would probably stay in the US longer, and enter Canada at either Washington, or Montana. The drive across Canada was long, and the gas was 3-4 times as expensive as it was in the US.

As for things I would recommend bringing… Well, I would have to say that the Milepost was very helpful, and would recommend it for anyone taking the trip. It contains most of the information that you will ever need, and has some great advice on driving the Alcan. We purchased a GPS unit to help us get through the cities without having to use a map. I thought it was going to be a complete waste of money, but as it turned out, it saved our marriage several times. It was worth its weight in gold. We purchased the Garmin StreetPilot 2720. It also allowed us to find restaurants and hotels wherever we were. We still use it on a regular basis in Alaska. Just make sure that if you do get a GPS unit that it has maps for Canada, and Alaska. There are many out there that do not cover those areas.

Other Items would be a first aide kit, Cooler with food and drinks, CB radio (we never used ours, but it was nice to have), a cell phone that works in Canada and Alaska (we bought one that turned into a paperweight once we hit Canada).

Make sure that your car is in tip-top shape. Have a mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb. Breaking down in the US is not too bad, but breaking down in the middle of the Yukon can be less than fun. I would recommend that you make your hotel reservations the day before you arrive. That way you at least know you have a place to sleep. We found that Motel 8 was consistently clean, reasonable and usually allowed pets. They also had free wire/wireless internet access. That is how we usually kept in touch with the family.

The Alcan is almost all paved, except for the parts that are being resurfaced due to frost heaves. The drive was not difficult, and the scenery was gorgeous. You may see such things as, Elk, Moose, Deer, Brown and Black Bears, Eagles, Beavers, and field mice. The Canadian Rockies were amazing. Make sure you bring a camera!!!

We spent somewhere around 21 days on the road. We only drove about 4-6 hours a day, and took our time. If we could do it again, I would like to spend more time exploring. Of course, that would probably make the trip last 41 days!!!

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to write. I am sure you are going to have a great time.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home