Alaska Bound

A peek under the covers into the journey of a lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

The ulcer is gone. I think I got used to the water. Now I just have to get used to the prices....

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween In Alaska

Written by Dianne - Glenn’s better half………
The scary trick or treat sign did not keep the kids from knocking on our door

This is the "welcome" bear. It is frightingly cute


Today is Halloween, October 31st, the day of ghouls, goblins and of course, Trick or Treating. Being new to Alaska and not knowing how tradition followed suit, we prepared accordling. Glenn and I decided to buy a few decorations to get into the “Spirit” of things. A few pumpkins, a ghost, scary eyes that blink and who could forget, candy. We had a huge bowl of treats for what we hoped would be an eventful night. Our first victim arrived at 5:30 and was rewarded with many sweets. For the next two hours we would wait and wait and wait. I said to Glenn, I guess we are going to have to eat all this candy ourselves. Moments later, we were disturbed by a bell ringing. We looked at each other and wondered where it was coming from. Wait, that’s our doorbell - more victims…….Much to our surprise, we had 6 more Trick or Treaters within the next 30 minutes. Not only did these little “Monsters” brave 30 degree temperatures, 6 inches of snow and ice, they actually were dressed up. In our old neighborhood, we were lucky if the kids showed up carrying a sign asking for food. We have always loved Halloween and now know that “Alaskan” ghouls and goblins do exist.


I am just waiting for a moose to eat one (or all) of the pumpkins

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy b-day Glenn! I didnt forgrt about you. We are all having Thanksgiving early at moms house this weekend. I will try to give you a call. Jaime

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home