Alaska Bound

A peek under the covers into the journey of a lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

The ulcer is gone. I think I got used to the water. Now I just have to get used to the prices....

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Except for the mountains, the animals, the traffic, and the clean air, this place is just like Florida…..

Ok, today was simply amazing. We spent a second day in Dawson Creek to get some well earned R&R. Today we decided to do some exploring. We decided to travel on the original Alcan highway about 20 miles out of town. On the way we saw our first moose grazing right next to the road. It was “small” by moose standards, but cute none the less. Dianne tried to take it home, but Nick refused to move over.

We drove to the last wooden bridge built for the Alcan and drove in the back woods. The wooden bridge was huge. Driving in the back woods on the original road was amazing. There were no cars, no noise, just the sound of wind passing through trees, and birds singing.

Driving back we were greeted by an entire family of deer that was grazing by the side of the dirt road. We turned around and went back hoping that they would still be there. As we drove back, the deer had not only not run away, but had gotten closer to the road. I started to wonder if they were somebodys pets, but they were not penned up and looked very wild. One of the deer thought that our car was made of pure grass. It kept looking at us and getting closer, and closer. I think I saw it look at our car and drool once. At about 10 feet we decided that it was time to keep moving and make sure that our car was not nibbled on by a deer.

Something else I discovered today. People really do have and use out houses. I was amazed that in some places there really is no plumbing. I suppose I am somewhat sheltered to have that notion, but it was a revelation for me. We passed house after house with an out house. I suppose you could say we were truly in the wilderness.

Animals seen today:

Moose – 1 Live!!!
Deer – 9 Live!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home