Alaska Bound

A peek under the covers into the journey of a lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

The ulcer is gone. I think I got used to the water. Now I just have to get used to the prices....

Saturday, July 01, 2006

......Saturday, what a day, I think it was the 1st of July.....

Ok, I think I may be addicted to this Chinese place. This is the second time in three days that I have been there. I haven’t eaten this much Chinese food in at least 6 months. I hate Chinese food - never have liked the stuff. Every time I go into a Chinese restaurant I start humming that song, “cats in the kettle…” Not at this restaurant. I just keep stuffing the stuff in like it was my last meal or something. I am beginning to think they are putting something in the food. Whatever it is it tastes good, and I hope they don’t stop. If I keep eating there at this rate, I will be putting there youngest through college.

So after eating Garfield we decided to go bargain shopping for some house wares. We decided on the Salvation Army due to its large selection and proximity to Comp USA. I could look at computer stuff while the wife looked for useless stuff like couches and dinning room tables… So we finally arrive at the location and I decided that I would take a look around and see if they had any goodies that I might be interested in. As we walked in the door I asked the wife what she was hunting for:

Me to Wife: So what are you looking to get?

Wife answering: I am hoping to find a dinning room table, couch, end tables, a piggy bank, and some toys for the dog.

Me to Wife: That sounds great

Wife to me: So what are you looking for?

Me answering: A 12 gauge pump action shot gun.

Wife to me: Oh, well, good luck

Me to Wife: yea, you too

Off we went in our perspective directions each looking for virtual gold. After several minutes of searching I got lost. Yea, this place was pretty big. Smaller than a Home Depot, but larger than your local tackle shop. I finally found Dianne and told her that I was giving up and going next door. She seemed disappointed that I was quitting so soon, but that was the longest I had shopped in over a year, and was feeling queasy. She told me that she would be over shortly and we parted ways.

The Comp USA was wonderful. Bright lights, fancy toys, and things that I could not afford at every turn. I marveled at all the thingies with buttons, and gizmos with lights. I was in my element. I traveled up and down isles with nothing but wires for every occasion. I saw cameras that took pictures even if you weren’t there. I played games with a 7 year old that knew more about computers than I did. He was using fancy names, like keyboard, and mouse (showoff…). So after being beaten in Kung-Fu-Basketball for the 18th time I decided to head over to what I actually came for - the Vonage setup. I was not sure if it worked or not, but I was willing to give it a try. Hey, for free (or as close to it as I can get) I was willing to give it a shot.

At this time I realized that it had been about 20 minutes and Dianne was still nowhere to be seen. At first I worried, but then remembered that I had the car keys. What was I supposed to do? I didn’t want to check out and just be standing around waiting. I looked around. What to my wondrous eyes might appear, but a tiny cradle, and eight tiny reindeer (ok, it was actually a phone, but that just didn‘t sound right…). It screamed, “use me - I’m free”. Or at least that is what I heard. So I picked up the phone and dialed a long distance phone number. I think I may have been a relative, but at that point, anybody would have done. They answered. It was in fact a relative, or at least someone that acknowledged me. We talked, and talked, and talked. I decided that if I could talk this long on someone else’s phone for free, I really needed to get this thing and talk my little heart out. Now nobody was going to be safe. At that point Dianne appeared out of nowhere and asked if I was ready. I said no, but she told me to grab whatever it was that I wanted and hurry up. She said that this place was boring, and all the stuff was too expensive to be looking at. I agreed as I wandered off into a maze of laptops…

2 Comments:

Blogger Reformed Mama said...

so you really haven't changed, have you? you still like to torment retailers, i see? HA HA!

and the stuff they put in the chinese food is called MSG -- it will kill you -- it is, in fact, worse than crack cocaine. it's so yummy though.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Glenn & Dianne said...

The Crack cocaine theory would explain why I am eating so much of it. That would also explain why it is so expensive.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home