Alaska Bound

A peek under the covers into the journey of a lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

The ulcer is gone. I think I got used to the water. Now I just have to get used to the prices....

Friday, May 12, 2006

Two of a kind

Rain was the order of the day today. Not much more than an annoying constant drizzle and about 43 degrees. Just the type of weather that makes you want to drive oh, say about 260 miles. If only I knew what lay ahead, I might have just stayed in bed another day. Then again, probably not….

Today we experienced 2 things that we have never seen before. The first was seeing a large black bear up close eating beside the road. The other was almost hitting an extremely large moose. I am still trying to forget the latter. I think the moose is also.

While traveling down the Canadian Rockies, we spotted a large semi tire that was discarded by the road. As we drove closer I slowed down and discovered that the tire had transformed into a small black bear. We drove closer. It was now no longer a small black bear, but a rather large black bear. It had a brown muzzle and bright shiny eyes. Its whiskers and nose twitched in the rainy wet air. It was a perfect example of a healthy black bear (I know that because I am a bear expert…). At least that is what I remember as we accelerated to get away. It seems that large black bears have less fear of humans then we do of them. Either that or I just ran across one very friendly bear. Either way I decided that it would be a really good idea to get, oh, say, about 200 yards between me and the cute “little” bear that tried to hitch a ride. Dianne wanted to go back and feed it breath mints. I pondered the idea for a while and then decided that I needed her to continue to balance my check book for a few more years. I denied her the opportunity to pet the wild bear, but I am sure she will forgive me. Someday.

About 45 minutes later we were driving into the outskirts of Ft. Nelson. Dianne and I were both looking out for bears on the side of the road eating grass. We had just about come to the conclusion that we were all “beared out”. I was coming down a hill at about 65 mph. Train tracks were quickly approaching. I was thinking about how fast we were going to go over the tracks. Dianne screamed. I mean REALLY screamed. I looked in front of me. All I saw was an EXTREMELY large moose. It was black and grey. Just the color of the road. The perfect disguise….. Just to give you an idea of how large this animal was, my eye level is about at 5 feet while sitting in the van. When we passed within several feet of the moose, I was looking at its stomach. This was a very large full grown moose. I could only imagine what it was thinking….

Me: Oh my God – That is a moose!!

Moose: Oh my God – They are going to run me over

Me: Wetting pants…..

Moose: Wetting pavement

I guess we kind of shared a moment. I am pretty sure that me and the moose are both very thankful that we didn’t meet on a whole other level. Later that day we went searching for the moose. I really didn’t think we would find him, but we had to try. We searched for about a half hour, but no signs of the moose were to be seen. I felt a little safer that Dianne was driving this time….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home