Alaska Bound

A peek under the covers into the journey of a lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

The ulcer is gone. I think I got used to the water. Now I just have to get used to the prices....

Monday, July 03, 2006

The Road to Nowhere

This is the road to Flat Top mountian. I was hanging on to the car for dear life as I took this picture. Anchorage is in the background


Today was a lazy day. Just sitting back, relaxing, doing nothing. I often wonder if everyone else is like me. To find out, I decided to go exploring. I often wondered why Anchorage is so empty on weekends. Where do all the people go? Today I found out. Just for kicks, I decided to drive up dead mans curve/heavens hill/drop of death (call it what you will, it is one hell of a steep road) to flat top mountain. Those of you that live in and around Anchorage are probably laughing, saying, “steep, maaaan, that isn’t even a bump on my radar. Ok, I am new here and not used to driving up 45 degree inclines yet - give me a break. So as you probably already know, everyone that wants to go for a short hike, goes to flat top mountain. That would be about half the population of Anchorage. On the way up, I saw people parking on the side of the road. That was about a half a mile from the parking area. When I got there, the place was packed. Not a spot to be had. I couldn’t have found a spot if I was driving a moped. Then again, I don’t think I could have made it up that far on a moped… In any case, I decided to come back down and hop on the Seward Hwy for fun.

So after burning out my brakes coming down the mountain and doing irreparable damage to my engine and transmission having put it in 1 the whole way down I was off to the Potters Marsh area. That is where I realized where the other half of Anchorage goes on the weekends. No, not Potters Marsh, but somewhere further than that. How do I know? Well, because while I was the only person leaving Anchorage, everyone else was coming back. I really would like to know where they went, because there were hundreds of them - and they all looked happy. I want to be happy. I want to go to places that nobody else but 500 of my closest friends knows about.

So I decided that since all of Anchorage was going home, I should to. I turned around and headed home. About half way home I noticed a squealing noise. I secretly hoped it was coming from the car next to me. At the next light I did not hear the squeal anymore, but noticed the temperature gauge moving quite quickly to the right. This was not good. I figured that the radiator hose had sprung another leak, and was quickly running out of fluid. I smelled the sweet smell of radiator fluid/money leaking from my hoses. I knew that this was going to be a problem. I quickly drove home and parked the car. I opened the hood and it was in fact a leak in one of the hoses. I will now have to have it (hopefully) repaired today. I think it is under warrantee, but who knows. It has been more than 30 days since it was repaired, so it may not be. Wish me luck!! We will find out Shortly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home