Alaska Bound

A peek under the covers into the journey of a lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

The ulcer is gone. I think I got used to the water. Now I just have to get used to the prices....

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

If this is new and improved, I want old and inferior

Ok, so what are the chances that getting a new older cable box will be easy? I was told that any cable location should have them, and just to stop in and exchange it. There are about a half dozen locations around Anchorage, and they should all have the box, right? Yea, and if you believe that one, I have some swamp land in Florida I would like to sell ya.

So off I went to the nearest location. I toted in my new improved cable box and asked for an old and inferior model. The clerk quickly headed to the back room to hunt down on of the dusty relics in the closet. About 5 minutes later she came back and informed me that they were totally out of the model that I had requested, and that I should try another store. Ok, not a problem. I just got another new model to replace my old new model and off I went. I decided that driving all over town was going to be a waste of time so I went home to make a few calls to track down a cable box and hook up the one I had gotten.

When I hooked up the new new cable box, surprisingly one of the 5 channels that I wanted worked! Could it be that all I needed was a new box? Of course not.. After the box received all its new information from the “mother cable company ship” I was denied even the one channel that was originally working. I do believe they are out to get me. Once again I made several calls to tech support to explain the situation and try to get things working without having to go all over town to search for another older cable box. It was a lesson in futility. I should have known better. The good part is that I had the tech call all the locations around town looking for my elusive black (actually it’s silver) box. They were able to locate one and had it chained down until I arrived.

At the cable company I was greeted by Grizzly Adams, or perhaps a small brown bear. In any case it was very furry and spoke English. I was nervous at first, but when it handed over my new old box, I was too happy to care. I was kind of concerned about the fact that they were trying to grow grass on the counter, but my mind quickly changed gears, and I was headed home. Once home I plugged in the old and inferior model to see if I would need to make 45,053 more calls to tech support. To my amazement, it worked. I held my breath - Then I held it some more. I passed out and was woken by Dianne slapping me saying, “breath stupid, breath”. I made a mental note not to hold my breath anymore. The channels were still working.

It seems that the “cable mother ship” likes these older boxes, and so allows all the channels to be received. I (and the cable company) still have no idea why the new boxes are so temperamental. I suppose it really doesn’t matter now that I have the last box that works in Anchorage!!! I wonder what I would get for it on eBay?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home