Alaska Bound

A peek under the covers into the journey of a lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

The ulcer is gone. I think I got used to the water. Now I just have to get used to the prices....

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

...You can call me Bun-bun if you want

This is Bun-bun. He is not as large as moosee, but every bit as cute.


As you know, July 2nd the car decided to spring another leak. It was the radiator hose that was causing the problem. I was unable to determine which hose it was, but was quite sure it was from one of the hoses, and not the radiator. I thought that I would take it to the local garage and have them fix the problem the next day. So I got up bright and early, filled the radiator with water and prayed that I would make it to the garage without the engine overheating. Off I went, down the street. At every red light I would turn off the car to help the engine stay cool for as long as possible. Just as I turned into the garage, the engine started to show signs of heating up. That was ok though because I had made it to the garage, and fifteen minutes early! I just had to sit around and wait for the staff to show up and I would get a ride home from them. So I waited, and waited, and waited. Just then a car pulled up. I thought it was one of the mechanics. He got out of his car and asked me if the shop was open. I told him I didn’t think it was open yet, but it was probably going to open any minute. He waked up to the door and said, “I don’t think so”. I looked at a note that was taped to the door. It read, “We will be closed Monday July 3rd for the 4th of July weekend. We will re-open on Wednesday July 5th. Thank you”. Oh, that’s just great I thought. Now I have to drive back home with a hot engine that is already starting to overheat. I decided that the best way to get back home was to do it fast. The quicker I got home the faster I could start my 4th of July in isolation. The car drove fine for the first half of the way home. Then it started to have some fun with me. It would start making hissing noises as if it were telling me that I shouldn’t have driven it this far. At red lights, it would spew steam like Old Faithful from under the radiator. Every time I stopped someone would have to point out that my van was overheating. Like I couldn’t tell from the mountains of steam pouring from under the hood… Finally we made it home and just as the engine started to really get hot. Now for the next two days I would get to sit and do nothing in the house. Good thing I have a bed and TV, otherwise I might have to entertain myself. Heaven forbid I do anything crazy like that.

Today I ran the gauntlet with the car again. Up to the repair shop. The only difference was that this time they were actually open. I dropped off the car and was taken home by one of there drivers. I will hopefully be advised that the car is done and ready to be picked up shortly. It has been a fun two days of doing nothing, but I did get a chance to chase Bun-bun around the complex….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home